Monday, June 25, 2007

Squirrel Hunters


I have two squirrel hunters in my family, a furry 6 lbs four legged one and a two legged human one. Every morning the two of them stand behind the patio sliding glass door, B.B. gun in hand, ball cap turned backward as not to obstruct the view. Coco takes her stance at the bottom of the door lying quietly in wait,watching for the band of 6 rodents to show up for the sunflower birdseed. Quietly they stand there, waiting for the moment. Pop ! Pop ! Pop ! goes the B.B. gun. Shoot ! missed again. This goes on for at least one hour each morning, it has become a ritual started several years ago when the rodents chewed up a few bird feeders and when that was not available started chewing on the roof.
Today was no different than usual, they took their stance, waiting....Pop ! Pop ! Pop ! only this time I did not here shoot ! missed again. I didn't think much of it until I passed by them standing in the door on my way out. There standing in the door was human hunter, furry hunter was at his feet, they were staring out onto the deck. I looked over at them and the human hunter says "I got one". I go over to the door look out on the deck and there on the bench lay a "dead" squirrel. Flopped over on his back. I asked human hunter "is he dead or stunned", human hunter says "dead, I think". I asked him not to leave it on the deck or throw it in the yard. I head off to work. Later in the morning I call from work to see if there have been any more victims. This was when the story got funny. Human decides to shoot a few more rounds when he notices the "dead squirrel", twitching. It continues twitching unit it lands on the deck floor at which time the furry hunter notices him. Now she begins to chase the critter and DH begins to chase the dog. The critter now with one gimpy leg is skittering across the deck like a one legged critter with Coco yipping and DH yelling. By this time the critter manages to find an opening in the deck fence and flops off, crawling into the ivy to hide out from the two fearless hunters. I just about laughed out loud because I have seen DH and Ming chase a rat and wondered who was more afraid of whom.

1 comment:

miss k said...

I think we need to send Max & India to join the hunt. Next time - please take pictures!!!